P.S. Part 3

Mike Ossipoff dfb at bbs.cruzio.com
Sun Dec 1 05:35:59 PST 1996

If a person is unaware that there's such a thing as merit or
content, to an argument, then, to that person, it's as if
communication is by grunts, and those grunts can mean whatever
he wants to interpret them as. I mention that in order to explain
Don's ability to imagine victory by interpreting disagreement
as a defensive sign that Don is right.Parenthetically, unawareness
that there's such a thing as merit goes a long way toward explaining
the merit of things that Don says, but that isn't what this
P.S. is about.

There's another consistent aspect to the victorious self-deception
that I've talked about: Have you noticed, over the duration of
this discussion, how often Don's victory fantasy is expressed
in terms of metaphors of physical harm? For instance, in the
most recent instance, it was that he'd stuck someone with an
ice-pick. Well, this must enhance the imaginary feeling of
victory where there is none. I'm not saying that Don always
uses a violent metaphor. Sometimes it's just a chink in the
armor, or something. But significantly often it's violent.

Mike