LO2E-2 & Iterative Simple Methods

Mike Ossipoff dfb at bbs.cruzio.com
Mon Aug 19 04:16:36 PDT 1996

I've just realized that Bucklin, Iterative Bucklin, &
Iterative Plurality seem to meet LO2E-2, though they don't
meet GMC, LO2E-1, or the Condorcet Criterion.

Actually, that fact about Bucklin is something that I mentioned
some time ago.

In any of those 3 methods, a majority preferring A to B
need only rank A, but not B, and they ensure that B can't
win--because if A is in the rankings of that majority, it
will eventually have votes from a majority, and will thereby
win. If they don't include B in their rankings, there's no
way B can have votes from a majority.

(In Iterative Plurality, voters would have to choose
the 1st-place promotion option down as far as alternative
A in their ranking, if that promotion is optional instead
of automatic. And if it's optional, then of course they can
rank B, as long as they don't apply the option to it).

Mike