Definition of Pairwise Method

Bruce Anderson landerso at ida.org
Fri Apr 19 21:47:27 PDT 1996

Define the Unanimity voting method as follows.  Let v be the number of voters
and let c be the number of candidates on the ballot.  If there is a candidate,
say i, such that the sum/j of p(i,j) = v(c-1), then Unanimity chooses that
candidate as its unique winner; otherwise (i.e., if there is no such candidate),
then Unanimity chooses every candidate on the ballot as being tied as its
winners.

If pairwise//nonpairwise methods are called pairwise, then wouldn't
"Unanimity//Plurality" and "Unanimity//Hare" also be pairwise?  Is this what you
want?  I sure would not want to have to explain to anyone why
Unanimity//Plurality and Unanimity//Hare are considered as being "pairwise
methods," since they are virtually identical to Plurality and Hare,
respectively.

Again, let me emphasize that it's not at all important to me either way.  I
really don't care that much how "pairwise method" is defined.  What I do care
about is that each and every definition is precisely stated.

Bruce