Smith procedure briefly stated

Mike Ossipoff dfb at bbs.cruzio.com
Tue Apr 16 04:55:49 PDT 1996

I'd like to state, more briefly & clearly, the procedure that I suggested
for determining the Smith set:

1. Order the alternatives according to how many alternatives they're
beaten by.

2. The alternative beaten by fewest alternatives is a member of the Smith set
(as are any several that tie for that distinction).

3. Any alternative is a member of the Smith set if it beats or ties
a member of the Smith set, or if it's beaten by no more alternatives
than is a member of the Smith set.

So admit alternatives to the Smith set according to these rules till
there are no more that qualify.

***

I don't know to what extent Bruce's procedure is like this one, and
it isn't possible to comment on Bruce's procedure till it's translated
from the original formulese. But I did notice that Bruce would order
the alternatives according to how many they beat instead of how many
they're beaten by. With "pairwise ties" a possibility, as is the case
in small committee elections, that makes a difference.

***

Mike