STV truncation example

Mike Ossipoff dfb at bbs.cruzio.com
Thu Apr 4 21:33:07 PST 1996

In the fractional STV surplus transfer example where the quota
is 40, and A has 50 votes with the following rankigs:

A: 40 votes worth of combined vote value
A,B: 10

..When we transfer all of the A,B ballots, we aren't transfering
any vote value that belongs to the A-only voters. The A-only voters
certainly have the right to not let their vote value be transferred
with other people's ballots, but do they have a right to say that
the A,B voters can't transfer all of _their own_ vote value?

I say they don't.

The F = min (s/t, 1) rule would, in this example, transfer the
A,B ballots at full value.

Mike Ossipoff