[EM] suggestion for MMPO/Approval hybrid

Kevin Venzke stepjak at yahoo.fr
Fri May 27 12:49:42 PDT 2005

Russ,

--- Russ Paielli <6049awj02 at sneakemail.com> a écrit:
> Kevin has pointed out some interesting properties of MMPO. Although it
> fails CC, apparently it passes FBC and LNH, which Kevin argues are more
> important than CC. That may be debatable, but for the sake of this
> discussion, let's say he's right.

I don't think this is quite accurate. I recall saying that Minimal Defense
and SDSC are more important than CC. I specifically said (to Jobst) that
CC is a better guarantee than LNHarm. I think FBC should be "tightened"
in some way to make a more concrete guarantee, in which case I could see
it being more important than CC. But I don't know that MMPO would satisfy
a tightened version of FBC.

> Anyway, I am just "brainstorming" at this point. I haven't analysed this
> method, but I think it may still pass FBC and LNH because it combines
> two methods that both pass those criteria if I am not mistaken.
> Admittedly, it *is* more complicated than MMPO but not a lot more, and
> the addition of cardinal information may add significant value. I am
> making no claims at this point, however.

Since you're just brainstorming, I haven't thoroughly considered your
method. But note that Approval doesn't satisfy Later-no-harm (only
Later-no-help); it fails it worse than any ranked method I know of.

In my opinion, if you want to add an approval component to MMPO, you
should just use three-slot MMPO. This at least satisfies "voted" LNHarm
(i.e., it is quite obvious that voting two candidates equally could harm
the one of the two that you prefer), and makes the approval component
pretty clear (i.e., the voter can't place the approval cutoff arbitrarily
and focus only on the rankings, since they are one and the same).

I think there is some good motivation for doing this. MMPO gives the
voter incentive to rank his favorite candidates equally, and rank
all of the other candidates; even an arbitrary order is better than
truncation. So limited slots would level the playing field between
sincere and strategic MMPO voters.

Kevin Venzke