[EM] Markus, 22 Marach, '05, 0318 GMT

MIKE OSSIPOFF nkklrp at hotmail.com
Sat May 21 20:16:49 PDT 2005

Markus Schulze--

You say:

On the other side,
(using your claim that you hadn't understood the Schulze method)

I reply:

I fully admit that I didn't know then what you meant by "Schulze method".
And, as for your posting of CSSD, I hadn't read it, and therefore didn't
know what count rule you were describing. So yes, I hadn't heard of CSSD.

Youl continue:

you still claim credit for finding a heuristic for the Schulze
method that uses Schwartz sets.

I reply:

I've never claimed credit for Schulze's method. I don't even know what it
is. No, don't bother telling me again; if I wanted to find out what it is,
I'd look in the archives.

But yes, I said that I devised CSSD, though I fully agree that you devised
and posted it first. So that hardly can be called claiming credit. And I
said that I (with Steve Eppley's help) devised SSD. That, too, was with no
prior knowledge about CSSD. And, as I said, CSSD is not SSD.

Let me digress a bit here, and say that you're attaching an unnecessary
amount of importance to credit. As you may having noticed, for nearly the
entire time that you've been on EM, I"ve shown no ilnterest in credit or
priority. Likewise, before you joined the list. For nearly the entire time
that I've been on EM, I showed no interest in credit or priority.

When did I take an interest in it? When I wanted to deny Russ the use of wv.
So I correctly pointed out that I was the one who had introduced wv to EM.
It's true. I introduced wv to EM.
It never occurred to me to assert that, till I chose to do so in order to
deny Russ the use of wv. Of course, as I said, that depends on Russ's pride,
if any, and Russ, last time I checked, still features wv at his website. So
much for his pride and self-respect.

Likewise with SSD. First, of course I'm the first to admit that my claim on
SSD isn't as strong as my claim on wv. You had described CSSD before I
devised SSD. SSD is quite similar to CSSD, differing only in the stopping
rule (SSD's stopping rule will make a lot more sense to the public).
Contrary to what you imply, I don't claim that I have priority for CSSD just
because I wasn't aware of your description of it when I devised it.

But though CSSD is similar to SSD, it isn't the same. That, and the fact
that the idea for SSD came from Steve, rather than from you, give me
justification for saying that I and Steve devised SSD, and that I was the
first to post a definition of SSD. That definition that link to, and which
you like to call an SSD definition is not an SSD definition. No amount of
repetition of the same statements can change those facts.

But, though my motive in pointing out that I introduced wv was to deny it to
Russ, there's another good reason for it: Because credit and priority are
everything to you, and you've sometimes been ridiculously boastful. So, for
that reason, it entertained me to point out that I introduced wv, and that,
therefore, your "Schulze method" is nothing but one of several ways of using
my wv.

As I said before, the merit difference between the various wv versions, such
as BeatpathWinner, Ranked-Pairs, SSD, CSSD, or "Schulze's method", whatever
that is, etc., is completely insignificant compared to the difference
between wv and Margins. Or the difference between wv and IRV, etc.

I'd said:

>I'd come up with CSSD during the Debian discussion, when
>Norm criticized SSD for its lack of clone independence in
>small committees.

You say: