[EM] Approval vs. CR (again)

Forest Simmons fsimmons at pcc.edu
Tue Jan 27 18:21:01 PST 2004

Note that "optimal" is not the same as "optimum" .  The difference is that
"optimal" allows for lack of uniqueness.

For example, in linear programming we have the well known "corner
principle" which says that if we search among all of the corners we will
find an optimal solution.

There may be another solution (not at a corner) that yields the same value
for the objective function and so is also optimal. In particular, if two
adjacent corners yield the optimum value, then all of the points on the
edge connecting the two corners are optimal solutions.

If we have three candidates, then the set of allowable CR ballots is
(geometrically) a cube in three dimensional space. The ballots that are
marked only at the extremes are represented by the corners of that cube.
It is not impossible for two adjacent corners to be optimal (or in
practice, indistinguishable from optimal) solutions.  In that case the
voter may feel more comfortable in voting the midpoint of the edge than
voting either of the end points.

Forest