[EM] Approval vs. CR (again)

Bill Lewis Clark wclark at xoom.org
Tue Jan 27 02:28:11 PST 2004

In reading through some of the archives, I've come across a point that
apparently needs some clarification.

(A) The optimal strategy in CR is to always vote the maximum or minimum.

(B) CR is strategically equivalent to Approval.

Now, the point I would like to make clear is that A and B are not
synonymous, nor does A logically imply B.

It's conceivable that the optimal strategy for CR may, in some cases,
require the voter to assign maximum values to a candidate that wouldn't be
approved under Approval's optimal strategy (and similarly, minimum values
for a candidate that *would* be approved.)

Now, it may be that these cases never actually come about (because they
require unrealistic assumptions about how to convert sincere CR ballots
into sincere Approval ballots) but the point is that A and B cannot be
assumed to equivalent simply in virtue of the meaning of the statements
(which seems to have been the case on at least a few occasions in the
past.)

-Bill Clark

--
Dennis Kucinich for President in 2004