[EM] Interesting use of Borda count

Bart Ingles bartman at netgate.net
Thu Jan 3 20:48:58 PST 2002

Steve:

I agree with your Saari results, if the two voters are ignorant enough
to actually bullet vote (even though this may accurately represent their
preferences).

One of the ways to defeat Saari's variation is for the two voters to
collaborate:  One voter agrees to rank A, B, and C in order, while the
other ranks A, C, B.  So the individual ballots are worth (2, 1, 0) and
(2, 0, 1).  The combined total is (4, 1, 1), hence the per-ballot
average (2, .5, .5) I claimed below.

Thus the suggestion that Saari's variation could function as a sort of
voter intelligence screen, since a potential bullet voter who doesn't
understand the above strategy has his voting power reduced by one-third.

Samuel Merrill III (Making Multicandidate Elections More Democratic,
1988) includes the following citation:
  Black, D. (1958) *The Theory of Committees and Elections*, Cambridge
University Press.

I haven't read Black's work.  But the issue seems moot to me, since with
the voter strategy above (or the equivalent coin-toss strategy), the
three variations we have discussed (Borda, Black, and Saari) are all
equivalent.

Bart