[EM] Optimal methods for multimember elections

Forest Simmons fsimmons at pcc.edu
Fri Dec 13 10:53:08 PST 2002

I agree with Alex, if the at large method is not even semi-proportional,
districts would be an improvement over the current situation.

However a simpler and much better solution is to adopt some kind of PR or
semi-PR method that uses the same ballot style and same ballot machinery.

Among these simple methods, Candidate Proxy gives the most bang for the
buck.

Each voter marks one candidate on the ballot.  These candidates become
proxies (for the voters that marked their names) in an Election Completion
Convention.

If there are n seats to be filled, and there is a subset of n candidates
each of which receives more than 1/(n+1) of the vote, then automatically
they distribute all of their proxy votes to self, and they win the seats.

Otherwise, since each proxy knows how many votes are controlled by every
other proxy, the candidates with common interests can get together and
decide on how to distribute their votes for best effect, i.e. so that not
too many votes, if any , get wasted.

Notice that this last feature makes Candidate Proxy a much better PR
method than (stand alone) Cumulative Voting, not to mention that it is
simpler to boot.

Can anybody think of any other method that gives more bang for the buck in
this situation?

Forest

----