[EM] Re: The None of the Above Chorus:

Forest Simmons fsimmons at pcc.edu
Fri Apr 27 07:33:26 PDT 2001

On Thu, 26 Apr 2001 DEMOREP1 at aol.com wrote:

> I would suggest limiting NOTA variations to executive and judicial office
> elections.
>
> Legislative bodies do not (and never should) go out of existance and can fill
> any vacancies if the voters reject all of the executive and judicial office
> candidates.

Here's another possibility: If NOTA wins the election, install the second
place candidate (the one just after NOTA) but with shortened term of
office, restricted veto power, no right to make supreme court
appointments, a probationary period followed by a vote of confidence, or
something like that. In other words, a NOTA inferior president would be
just considered an interim president filling the position until the voters
give her a vote of confidence or find someone better.

NOTA would be the exact opposite of a "mandate."

Forest