The None of the Above Chorus:

Bart Ingles bartman at netgate.net
Thu Apr 26 21:10:01 PDT 2001

NOTA may be feasible if the office to be filled is considered optional,
so that if NOTA wins (or at least wins repeatedly), the office is left
vacant.  But in that case, the office doesn't sound very important in
the first place, and probably should be abolished.

When the filling the office is a necessity, then I can't see much value
in NOTA.  Repeating my earlier argument as succinctly as I can, if you
have a good method which doesn't discourage good candidates, then
repeating the election will just deplete the pool of willing candidates,
making it less likely the office can ever be filled with each repeated
election.  Or else it will be filled at random by voters who are tired
of repeating the election.