[EM] Absolute Utilities

Martin Harper mcnh2 at cam.ac.uk
Sat Apr 21 04:30:32 PDT 2001

There's only one decent way that I can think of to fairly use absolute
utilities: It's something like this:
--
Voter goes into polling booth, and votes a ballot of their choice, and
also indicates the degree to which they are liable to be effected by the

Upon leaving the polling booth, the candidate is detained for an amount
of time proportional to the degree they have indicated on the ballot
paper, less the time they spent in the polling booth. If they spent more
time in the polling booth than their voted degree would indicate, then
the balance is saved up and may be used in the next election.
--

Here I'm using time-penalties to ensure a sincere assessment of the
degree of effect. Other people might suggest electric shocks, or amounts

I'm not advocating this - but that's how I'd measure Absolute (though
not all sincere) utilities for non-factual issues. Myself, I'm sticking
to the concept of normalised utilities, and I'll rashly claim that, in
the absence of any other information we might be able to obtain, that
normalised sincere utilities are the best estimate of absolute sincere
utilities.

In other words, the aim for me is to maximise ASU, but this isn't
remotely possible, because you can't collect the info. Maximising
normalised SUs is possible, and it's as close to ASU-maximisation as we
can get.