[EM] Replying to Markus

Markus Schulze schulze at sol.physik.tu-berlin.de
Wed Apr 18 06:26:22 PDT 2001

Dear Mike,

you wrote (17 Apr 2001):
> Markus wrote (17 Apr 2001):
> > It isn't clear what you mean with "BeatpathWinner. Due to the
> > usual way, in which new terms are created out of old terms in this
> > mailing list, the "BeatpathWinner" seems to be the winner of the
> > Beatpath Criterion Method.
>
> No, BeatpathWinner is the name of a method, not a candidate.
> Steve and I both began using the term "BeatpathWinner" here around
> the same time, to refer to what we then believed you to mean by
> "Schulze's method".

Nope! Steve Eppley never used the term "BeatpathWinner" in this
context. He always used the term "Schulze method." Therefore it
seems that you have mixed up the Schulze method and the Beatpath
Criterion Method and that some time you began to use these terms
synonymously. Please read Steve Eppley's mails in the archive!

He wrote (3 Jun 2000):
> I believe Mike Ossipoff and I consider IBCM (DCD) more intuitive
> than Schulze.
>
> [snip]
>
> It should be reworded as saying that the IBCM winner depends
> *more often* on more elements of the pairwise matrix than does
> the Schulze winner.  Since this can be considered a feature of
> IBCM (and MTM) and a bug for Schulze, one can use (3) as an
> argument in favor of IBCM (and MTM) and against the Schulze
> method.
>
> [snip]
>
> Markus appears to agree with me that Norm erred when he
> criticized Tideman as being worse than Schulze on
> independence of clones.
>
> [snip]
>
> IBCM is more decisive than Schulze or path voting.
>
> [snip]
>
> The issue of Schulze vs. MTM does not depend on an argument that
> MTM is more decisive than Schulze.  So let's continue to compare
> the Schulze and MTM which are both completely independent of
> clones. Another way to enhance decisiveness is to repeat a
> method: [MTM] & [Schulze].
>
> [snip]
>
> That technical problem was solved by weakening the criterion,
> and that solves it for Tideman (and MTM and BCM and IBCM) as
> well as for Schulze.
>
> [snip]
>
> Regardless of how the pairwise table is generated, Schulze,
> MTM, BCM, and PC(wv) choose the same when given any 3-candidate
> pairwise table.
>
> [snip]
>
> In a message I posted earlier today, I retracted a claim made
> a few months ago that MTM is more decisive than Schulze.
>
> [snip]
>
> Schulze chooses A & B & C.
>
> [snip]
>
> So MTM appears to be more decisive than Schulze, without
> compromising its complete independence of clones.

In so far as Steve Eppley never promoted the Schulze method,
there is also no real reason why he should have introduced
a new term for this method.

Markus Schulze