[EM] Actual Approval Elections:

Martin Harper mcnh2 at cam.ac.uk
Tue Apr 10 11:45:37 PDT 2001

I Like Irving wrote:

> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 04/10/01
> Harper,
> You wrote:  "... actual approval elections do not appear to have these
> problems you claim they suffer from."
>
> Davison:  It would be nice if we could see that for ourselves.
> It appears you know of actual approval elections.  If so, would you be so
> kind as to post to this list the results of an actual Approval election?
> We would not need copies of the actual ballots.  We only need the different
> candidate combination sums.
> If you have more than one election race to pick from, pick the one that has
> a history of Approval elections.
>
> Donald,

*whips out copy of "Approval Voting", Robert J. Weber, Journal of Economic
Perspectives, Vol9, Issue1, Winter 1995*

(partial) quote:
"Today, professional organisations such as the Institute of Management
Sciences, the IEEE, The Mathematical Association of America, and the American
Statistical Association, with total membership in excess of 400,000, use
approval voting to elect their officers"

I don't have the results of an actual Approval election on me - neither do I
have the results of an actual Plurality election on me. I'm not in the habit of
storing such information. I recommend you write to one of the above-mentioned
groups if you are interested - I'm sure they'd be delighted to help.