[EM] Condorcet cyclic drop rule

Markus Schulze schulze at sol.physik.tu-berlin.de
Mon Apr 2 04:06:07 PDT 2001

Dear Mike,

you wrote (2 Apr 2001):
> Blake Cretney wrote (1 Apr 2001):
> > Of course Condorcet didn't really propose Ranked-Pairs
> > (defeat-support).  That method was invented recently by Mike,
> > based on the method Tideman invented around 1985.
>
> Invented recently by Mike? Steve Eppley defined it before I did.
> But thanks for trying to give me credit for that better version.

Actually, it was me who introduced this method to this mailing
list in 1997. Steve Eppley didn't promote Ranked Pairs
(defeat-support) before 2000.

************

You wrote (2 Apr 2001):
> Blake Cretney wrote (1 Apr 2001):
> > I argued that since no one had come up with an EXAMPLE where
> > Condorcet had considered incomplete rankings, he hadn't.
>
> So much for Blake's claim that Condorcet didn't consider incomplete
> rankings. We covered this some time ago, but Blake repeated his
> refuted statement again.

I guess that Blake rather wants a concrete example from Condorcet
with incomplete rankings. Although Condorcet mentions the
possibility of incomplete rankings in his paper "Sur les Elections,"
it isn't clear how he actually handles these incomplete rankings.

Markus Schulze