[EM] Craig's rant

MIKE OSSIPOFF nkklrp at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 9 19:17:37 PDT 2001

Whether the fanciful would visualise the Approval method to have
checkboxes or accept STV style papers, the blowout of a failure
in restraining power of voters is quite a feature of the so called
and not yet proven to exist, and hard to find, Approval Voting
method.

I reply:

I don't understand your example, but I can assure that the Approval
method exists, and its definition isn't hard to find. Each voter
may make a mark beside the names of however many candidates s/he wants
to, which gives one whole vote to each candidate so marked. The
candidate with the most votes wins.

Many of Mr Ossipoff's rules do not actually exist but
are boring blimps that lack definition and at least one uses
the opinions of voters, if I recall right.

I reply: We've discussed my criteria before. I answered you early
last year, and that discussion is in the archives. Or are you referring
to my method definitions? Who knows?

Certainly Mr Davison and maybe even Mr
Schulze have been assuming the Osspipoff Approval idea of
a method exists

I reply: I didn't invent Approval, but I'm not sure what you mean
when you say it doesn't exist.

Mike Ossipoff