[EM] What would Tom impose, and how?

MIKE OSSIPOFF nkklrp at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 2 19:09:01 PDT 2001

>>I would be interested in experimenting with approval in practice, but I'm
>not willing to impose it on anyone.

Excuse me? Did anyone suggest imposing Approval on anyone? In a state,
county or city initiative, the public could choose Approval. How
were you considering imposing a voting system on people? Which voting
system would you impose on people, and how would you impose it?

As a change from Plurality, Approval doesn't take away anyone's rights.
It merely adds a freedom which there was never any justification
for denying in the first place. It removes the unjustifed rule that
, in the 0-1 point system, a voter must give 0 to all but one candidate.
When people vote for a compromise, it doesn't require them to falsely
vote that they like the compromise over their favorite. Instead of
saying "This candidate is better than this set of candidates", which
the voter often doesn't really believe, he can say "This set of candidates
is better than this set." Even if the legislature "imposed"
Approval, who would be wronged by the changes described in this
paragraph?

Mike Ossipoff

For me it is an experiment only.