"Reverse-Tideman" Idea Explained

Norman Petry npetry at sk.sympatico.ca
Thu Aug 6 14:28:14 PDT 1998

Based on Mike's recent post, I re-examined my example and found that I'd
inconsistently applied the method I described, with the result that my
answer of D appeared unambiguous.  Here's how it should have looked:

A>D: 52          A>(52)D
C>D: 53          A>(52)D; C>(53)D
C>A: 65          C>(65)A>(52)D
A>B: 67          C>(65)A>(52)D; C>(65)A>(67)B
B>C: 68          A>(52)D; A>(67)B>(68)C
D>B: 77          D>(77)B>(68)C; A>(67)B

Result: D>B>C, A>B

This is, of course, exactly what Markus was showing in his example: an
ambiguous result between D,A.

So it looks like I've just succeeded in re-inventing the wheel (and a broken
wheel, at that).  Mike, please stop referring to this as "Petry's method" --
I'd prefer to give Peyton Young the credit!

Norm Petry