"Reverse-Tideman" Idea Explained

Norman Petry npetry at sk.sympatico.ca
Tue Aug 4 09:37:34 PDT 1998

Dear Markus,

Thank you for your reply.  You wrote:

>As far as I understand you correctly, you propose
>that the weakest pairwise defeats should be ignored successively
>until there are no cycles anymore.

The idea I had was a little different from this.  I'll use your example to
demonstrate what I had in mind.  First, I'll begin by listing the
"propositions" suggested by the pairwise comparison matrix, from weakest to
strongest:

A>D: 52
C>D: 53
C>A: 65
A>B: 67
B>C: 68
D>B: 77

Now, I'll try to establish a rank ordering of candidates, by beginning with
the weakest proposition, and incorporating new information as I work towards
the strongest.  Where necessary, I'll reverse my previous judgements, since
the stronger propositions must outweigh the weaker ones.  I'm not going to
think about cycles, except to avoid creating them (as in Tideman's method).
Unlike Tideman's method, I'm going to keep track of the "strength" of the
propositions, so I can know how to reverse previous opinions.  I'll show
this as: "A>(52)D" to indicate that the A beats D by 52.

Here's the analysis:

A>D: 52          A>(52)D
C>D: 53          A>(52)D; C>(53)D
C>A: 65          C>(65)A>(52)D
A>B: 67          C>(65)A>(52)D; C>(65)A>(67)B
B>C: 68          B>(68)C>(65)A>(52)D
D>B: 77          D>(77)B>(68)C>(65)A

The final ranking is D>B>C>A, so the single winner is D (unambiguously, I
think).  Note that in steps 3 and 5, I discarded useless information (C>D,
A>B), since new information allowed me to place C and B in the overall rank
order.  In step 6, D had to be placed at the beginning of the chain, since
the evidence for D>B strongly outweighs the evidence for A>D.

I also calculated the single-winner in this example using your beat-path
method, and produced the same result.

To me, this "Reverse-Tideman" method appears promising, at least in the 2
cases I've examined (yours and Mike's Tideman bad example).  Is this method
(as I've described it here) equivalent to yours?

Looking at it, it's almost certain that "Reverse-Tideman" is technically
inferior to the beat-path method, and will probably produce different
(worse) results in some cases.  Also, it might be possible to create
examples where it's impossible to decide how to incorporate new
propositions.  Yet, it might provide a reasonable approximation in most
cases.  Unfortunately, the procedure is messier than Tideman's, and because
we're working from the bottom-up, we couldn't claim that this _is_
Condorcet's method, so we lose some of the practical advantages that I
earlier suggested Tideman's method might have over yours.

Without a doubt, your beat-path method has all the elegance,
comprehensiveness, and consistency that this "Reverse-Tideman" method lacks.
Technically, this method offers nothing.  However, the approach itself is
fairly intuitive, so it might be a useful approximation of the beat-path
method for hand counts, or for people who have difficulty accepting the
validity of "beat-paths" in determining winners.

Any comments?

Norm Petry