[EM] Vote transfer problems - plurality rule

Kristofer Munsterhjelm km-elmet at munsterhjelm.no
Thu Sep 12 13:11:08 PDT 2024

On 2024-09-11 19:52, Abel Stan wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> here I am with another musing on an uncommon type of mixed system, which
> is basically the mixed (two tier) equivalent of STV with group voting
> ticket only: Voters vote for individual candidates in their local
> districts, and their votes get transferred to their party if it is not
> "used up".

I'll have to look at this later, but I was just wondering if making a
method that supports biproportional apportionment would solve the
problems of MMP.

For simplicity (since the math is easier), consider a cardinal
optimization method where parties and districts are given weights, and
one vote (approval or full rating) is multiplied by the district weight
times the party weight. Then perhaps we could run something like
Pukelsheim's method with the upper apportionment being the result for
the country as a whole.

If possible, such a method would allow voters to vote for candidates
belonging to some party, but without having closed list, since the base
method would be a candidate-centered method. It would just be one that
weights votes to get the right upper apportionment.

The question is whether it could be done, though, or if the interaction
effects would make it impossible (e.g. lowering one's rating of A turns
the council from {A,X} to {B,Y}, which means that the number of X party
seats changes based on the weight given to party A).

(I would prefer the method to be ordinal, but cardinal is easier to deal
with mathematically; it's better to start on easy mode when trying to
figure out if the thing is at all possible :-)

-km