[EM] The critical importance of Precinct Summability.

Closed Limelike Curves closed.limelike.curves at gmail.com
Wed Sep 4 10:14:00 PDT 2024

The cryptography can be fixed by placing each race on its own separate
ballot, but that's kind of a pain.

There's two different issues here. The first is we want to be able to
release precinct-level data, so we can check it for unusual patterns. The
second is we want to be sure none of the ballots are tampered with or
destroyed in transit (after polls close). Precinct summability implies both
(by letting us skip transit entirely), but isn't needed for either.

An easy way to prove ballots weren't tampered with in transport is WDS's
receipt proposal. Print a receipt (exact copy) of each vote and put it in a
box. Every ballot and receipt has a random serial number on it. After the
election, the government can post ballots along with randomized serial
numbers. Voters take a single random receipt from the box home with them
when they leave and check it. Now if any ballot is tampered with or
destroyed after leaving the precinct, some voter can prove it by showing
their receipt. Assuming even a handful of voters check their receipts, any
substantial fraud would be easy to detect. Ballot-box stuffing in transit
can be prevented simply by reporting the total number of votes (turnout) by
precinct.

This can be paired with tabulating full ballot data by precinct, then
releasing it after adding random noise (c.f. differential privacy) so we
can check for any weird patterns in precinct-level data. For any
non-chaotic rule (i.e. probably anything except STV), this noise will
cancel out. This can be helped by using a weakly-summable method like
proportional approval in moderately-sized districts (perhaps 4
representatives). Then people can calculate the results based on the
precinct data at the end.