[EM] A cloneproof fpA-fpC method?

Kristofer Munsterhjelm km-elmet at munsterhjelm.no
Sun Oct 27 07:51:06 PDT 2024

On 2024-10-25 10:12, Chris Benham wrote:
> What does "fpA-fpC" mean?

First preference for A minus first preference for C.

i.e. in a three-candidate election that's an ABCA cycle, elect the
candidate A whose first preferences minus the preferences of the one
beating him is maximized. (If there is a CW, just elect that CW.)

This has similarly low manipulability as the Condorcet-IRV hybrids while
being monotone. Later I found a connection between low manipulability
and electing from the resistant set. And sure enough, both
three-candidate IRV and fpA-fpC elect from this set.

The problem is that it's only defined for three candidates. So I've on
and off been playing with extensions that would generalize to more
candidates while retaining monotonicity and some of the strategy resistance.

But none of the generalizations have been cloneproof; even my best
attempt so far (Friendly Cover) is only independent of twins (the way
minmax is). This extension, however, might just be cloneproof and have
some nice Smith-independence properties as well.

Unlike the Condorcet-IRV methods, it (probably) doesn't elect from the
resistant set in general, but it does with a Smith set of three or
fewer. I still haven't found a monotone method that always elects from
the resistant set, but I'm not going to discard partial results like
this method for that reason.

-km