[EM] Approval splitting pathology

Chris Benham cbenhamau at yahoo.com.au
Thu Oct 24 23:59:05 PDT 2024

Ted,

> As a long time fan of Margin Sorted Approval (AKA Approval Sorted
> Margins <https://electowiki.org/wiki/Approval_Sorted_Margins>), I've
> been thinking about various ways to improve it.

To solve what "problem"?

> I started thinking about how one might implement an automatic approval
> cutoff, designed to give each ballot its own strategically optimal cutoff.

Not possible with just ranking information. To revisit the classical
example:

49 A        (presumably sincere, but maybe sincere is A>C)
24 B        (sincere may be B>C, that is what the C supporters believe)
27 C>B    (sincere, but could be C>B>>>A or C>>>B>A)

If we claim that we are trying to elect the sincere CW and therefore
avoid giving the voters a strong truncation incentive then the approval
cutoffs need to be explicit and manual so as to squash any post election
complaints from losers.

> One reasonable strategy in Approval Voting generally is to determine,
> for each ballot, the highest ranked candidate(s) who are in the Smith
> Set, and then put the Approval Cutoff below that rank.

In the above example that would mean we interpret the C>B ballots as
giving approval to both C and B, giving the win to B (as the sole winner
by Double Defeat).  But then the C supporters could have a
semi-reasonable complaint: "We didn't mean to really approve of B. We
only expressed our weak B>A preference because we assumed (or were led
to believe) that the B supporters would return the favour by voting
B>C.  We object to them being rewarded for their treacherous defection."

But if the approval cutoffs are explicit any complaint like that gets a
crushing rejoinder.  If they voted C>B|>A giving the win to B, it is
"Your complaining about the election of a candidate you explicitly
approved of? You could have prevented B from being elected by not
approving B. You cannot reasonably expect the voting method to read
minds and call C the winner.  C was Doubly Defeated  by A."

Or if they voted C|>B  causing A to win and their complaint is "But we
prefer B to A and B pairwise beat A" then the rejoinder is "If you
really wanted B to defeat A why didn't you approve of B? If you had,
then B would have won."

With an explicit approval cutoff there is no clone issue because when
the method has a ratings element candidates have to have the same
ratings (here being on the same side of the approval cutoff) to qualify
as clones.

So either we say to the voters "This is an Approval-ish high SU method,
so we are not interested in your rankings among unapproved candidates"
or we say "We are interested in whatever ranking you care to express and
if there is a top cycle then your approval cutoffs will help determine
the winner".

I am open to both but prefer the second because it allows greater voter
expression.  In the first case we need a method that meets Double Defeat
(Implicit) and in the second one that meets Double Defeat(Explicit).

My favourites are MSA(implicit) and MSA(explicit),  but the two versions
of Smith//Approval also fill the bill and are not bad.

Chris Benham