[EM] Proportionality: the small bias effect seems to be real for Harmonic

Kristofer Munsterhjelm km-elmet at munsterhjelm.no
Thu Oct 3 07:43:06 PDT 2024

On 2024-09-26 23:49, Toby Pereira wrote:
> The other thing with this is that looking solely at proportionality is
> not necessarily the best thing to do. It needs to be combined with some
> reasonable degree of monotonicity as well.

I agree that criteria matter too. As an analogy: even if Borda has a
better VSE than Schulze, I much prefer to have the majority criterion of
the latter.

> Take the following approval ballots:
>
> 99: ABC
> 99: ABD
> 1: C
> 1: D
>
> With two to elect, arguably CD is the most proportional result (and this
> is what Phragmen philosophy prefers). However, C and D each have just
> 50% of the support, whereas A and B each have 99%. The 99s in the
> ballots could be increased arbitrarily and you'd get the same thing.
> This is why Phragmen-based methods tend to be only weakly monotonic.

What kind of monotonicity does the example show the limits of? It
doesn't seem to be mono-raise or mono-add-top.

> I've written about optimal proportionality before, but if you are
> allowed to elect any number of candidates with any amount of weight
> (rather than having a fixed number with equal weight), then optimal PAV
> and COWPEA both have some very nice properties, including a strong
> degree of monotonicity and passing independence of irrelevant ballots.
> They differ slightly in their "philosophy" so can produce different
> results, but I see them as possibly the only two contenders for the
> "ultimate" in optimal PR.

In a ranked setting, if you're allowed to elect any number of candidates
with any weight, then electing everybody's first preference can be
strategy-proof (by Duggan-Schwartz). It would also be optimal by
Chamberlin-Courant - every candidate would be assigned every voter
voting that candidate first, with weight equal to their proportion. So I
would imagine "elect any number with any weight" to be a setting where
it's relatively easy to do well.

> But the bottom line is that there is no known method that keeps all the
> nice properties you'd want for all deterministic elections where a fixed
> number of candidates are to be elected with equal weight. Some
> compromise is likely to always be needed. It's not that surprising since
> proportionality and monotonicity are essentially orthogonal things, and
> it's not a priori obvious that they could be perfectly combined in a
> non-arbitrary and clean way. It seems they can be anyway for optimal PR
> (with two nice methods - an embarrassment of riches) but not for fixed
> candidates with equal weight.

How is proportionality and monotonicity incompatible in the fixed
candidates setting? It would seem to me that if A is on the winning
council and someone ranks or rates A higher, then it's possible to
ensure that A still wins without having to compromise proportionality.

-km