[EM] Strategy-free criterion

Michael Ossipoff email9648742 at gmail.com
Fri May 31 19:56:59 PDT 2024

On Fri, May 31, 2024 at 19:04 Chris Benham <cbenhamau at yahoo.com.au> wrote:

> It [SDC] doesn't talk about just any "Condorcet winner".  It says that if
> A is the sincere CW and more than half the voters vote A above B, then the
> voters who prefer B to A can't make B win just by truncating.

Exactly. That was what I meant to say. Forgive me if I didn’t say it.

But maybe they can if less than half the voters vote A over B (with A still
> being the sincere CW and pairwise-beating B) and maybe they can by
> order-reversal Burial.

Of course.

Sincere Defense  [Minimal Defense (MDC)] says that if more than half the
> voters prefer A to B, they can stop B from winning by voting A over B and
> truncating against B.  From a Kevin Venzke webpage:
>
> https://votingmethods.net/em2005
>
> *Minimal Defense*. *(Due to Steve Eppley.)*
>
> *If more than half of the voters rank candidate A above candidate B, and
> don't rank candidate B above anyone, then candidate B must be elected with
> 0% probability.*
>
> Yes.

Steve Eppley has defined and discussed Minimal Defense here [broken link]
> <http://alumnus.caltech.edu/~seppley/> and here [broken link]
> <http://alumnus.caltech.edu/~seppley/Strategic%20Indifference.htm>.
> Satisfaction of this criterion implies compliance with Mike Ossipoff's *strong
> defensive strategy criterion*, although the reverse is not necessarily
> true. That criterion can be found here [broken link]
> <http://www.barnsdle.demon.co.uk/vote/stfree.html>.
>
> Yes, it’s true that they aren’t the same, because MDC requires stipulation
of a balloting (usually ranked)…but SDSC is universally applicable, because
it’s a preference-&-sincere
criterion.

Note that the ballot must accept all preference orders; in particular, the
> voter must be able to rank multiple candidates above no one (usually by
> truncation), and to *strictly* rank any number of candidates. If the word
> "strictly" were dropped, then Approval
> <https://votingmethods.net/em2005#methappr> would satisfy, as could other
> methods using a "limited slot" ballot
>
> Yes, Approval doesn’t pass SDSC, due to the definition of “sincere” for
the preference-sincere criteria, though SDSC applies to Approval.  …& I
didn’t apply MDC to Approval.

Because I prefer preference-sincere criteria, I didn’t define a version of
MDC for Approval-balloting.

Anyway, MDC was Eppley’s version. …& the version that was
generally-accepted. …& therefore the one that I usually refer to.  …which
is fine, because we only use it for comparison of rank-methods.

> . (Approval <https://votingmethods.net/em2005#methappr> satisfies Mike
> Ossipoff's *weak defensive strategy criterion* for this reason.) In my
> opinion, the word "strictly" should be dropped, since Approval
> <https://votingmethods.net/em2005#methappr> can already be made to
> satisfy Minimal Defense just by allowing the voter to number his approved
> candidates, without analyzing the ballot any differently.
>
> Sure, if that would make the votes-only criteria apply to Approval, Score
& STAR.

> Minimal Defense deals with the issue of what a majority need to do to get
> their opinion counted. Specifically, if they are united in preferring
> candidate A to candidate B, all they have to do is not rank B. They need
> not do anything special regarding A. For instance, on these ballots:
>
> 49 B
> 13 C>A
> 13 D>A
> 13 E>A
> 12 F>A
>
> The A>B voters (i.e., the voters preferring A to B) are a majority, and do
> not rank B at all, so that Minimal Defense guarantees that B won't win.
> However, candidate B is the winner in e.g. Plurality
> <https://votingmethods.net/em2005#methfpp>, Instant Runoff
> <https://votingmethods.net/em2005#methirv>, and Descending Solid
> Coalitions <https://votingmethods.net/em2005#methdsc>. Under these
> methods, if the A>B majority want to prevent B from being elected, they
> need to insincerely raise candidate A in their rankings.
>
> —& that problem remains to some significant degree with any Condorcet
version that isn’t autodeterent.