[EM] Approval vs Condorcet. Voting in Approval.

Chris Benham cbenhamau at yahoo.com.au
Sun May 26 10:19:55 PDT 2024

In a way Approval isn't a voting method, it's more like a voting
"anti-method".

Voting methods have some algorithm.  They try to reduce the need for
strategy, hopefully make some attempt to resist strategy, and (normally
and hopefully)  give the voter the option of expressing their full
strict ranking of the candidates.

Approval has no algorithm. It invites "strategy" and more-or-less relies
on it to give a reasonable result.  Rather than give the voter a way of
expressing their full sincere rankings, it confines the voter to
choosing a set of candidates whose members they wish to uniformly and
indiscriminately help versus the non-members.

It ensures "honest voting" by severely curtailing voter expression.

It's based on the assumption that voters only care about the effect of
their votes on who wins and enjoy compromise-compression strategising.
Obviously a huge improvement on the FPP "anti-method" but nonetheless
understandably difficult for some people to get enthusiastic about.

There would still be some incentive for dishonest polls, trying to scare
voters into approving unneeded Compromise candidates to guard against
some Greater Evil.  But it is a great benefit that a rational voter can
at least never be conned into not approving their sincere favourite
(along with any other candidates they prefer to their Compromise candidate).

So "over the course of a few elections"  Approval would strongly tend to
"zero in" on the Condorcet winner.  That is great, but the Condorcet
supporter might well ask: "Why should we have to wait that long?".

Approval is a huge bang-for-buck contender, mainly by being almost no
"buck".

Chris B.