[EM] 28 years of progress and a wakeup call

Kristofer Munsterhjelm km_elmet at t-online.de
Sun May 26 05:02:52 PDT 2024

On 2024-05-26 04:50, Michael Ossipoff wrote:
> Re: Wikipedia voting-system articles, I’ll remind you that “Closed” has
> rewritten a number of them.
>
> If you’ve found a downturn in their quality….
>
> Just saying

Here's an example where I do think I've found a downturn in quality:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duverger%27s_law

The lead says "In political science, Duverger's law (/ˈduvərʒeɪ/
DOO-vər-zhay) refers to the observation that political systems with only
one winner that fail the sincere favorite criterion typically result in
two-party rule."

However, what Duverger said in his article is that FPTP leads to
two-party rule while top-two and proportional representation lead to
multiparty rule.

Since top-two fails the sincere favorite criterion (the FBC), I can't
see how that can be right.

Granted, the previous version said that every single-winner method would
be Duvergerian. But the editor (see the article history) should have
checked if FBC agreed with what Duverger was saying.

I have other, more serious examples too. If anyone would like them, and
would like to take up the proverbial torch of doing edits on Wikipedia,
just send me a private mail.

-km