[EM] 28 years of progress and a wakeup call

robert bristow-johnson rbj at audioimagination.com
Thu May 23 17:36:03 PDT 2024

> On 05/23/2024 4:44 PM EDT Kristofer Munsterhjelm <km_elmet at t-online.de> wrote:
>

> > 6. Put the important material in the lede. Only about 3% of Wiki users
> > read past the lede.
>
> I *would*, but see above.
>
> BTW, I think it's "lead".
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Manual_of_Style/Lead_section

There is this little dumb history why "lede" became a thing in journalism:
__________

Lead
Further information: Lead paragraph

The most important structural element of a story is the lead (also intro or lede in journalism jargon), comprising the story's first, or leading, sentence or possibly two. The lead almost always forms its own paragraph. The spelling lede (/ˈliːd/, from Early Modern English) is also used in American English, originally to avoid confusion with the printing press type formerly made from the metal lead or the related typographical term "leading".[6]

Kristofer, I dunno what to say about the English Wikipedia.  It has it's own strange politics and mob rule.  17 years ago I was permanently banned ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Rbj ) because of an uncompromizing and wrong position they took regarding Intelligent Design, essentially attributing the meaning of the term to whatever the Discovery Institute says it is.  I resisted and it just got worse and worse.  Tried, unsuccessfully, to get Jimbo involved.  Omegatron knows about this, I think.

I still edit anonymously.  The lede for https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time is still mostly my writing and I did that anonymously as a banned editor.  But https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nyquist%E2%80%93Shannon_sampling_theorem got all fucked up despite that my drawings still exist in it.

r b-j . _ . _ . _ . _ rbj at audioimagination.com

.
.
.