[EM] STAR loses in Eugene, 33%-67%

Ted Stern dodecatheon at gmail.com
Thu May 23 14:47:54 PDT 2024

Excerpt from an email posted by the EqualVote coalition a few minutes ago:

> It started when we learned that an opposition committee had been filed,
and that the leader of that committee *was a long time Ranked Choice Voting
lobbyist for FairVote Washington* who would be writing the official
opposition statement in the Voters’ Pamphlet. We’d gone head-to-head in
Portland and we already knew his tactics — He is white, but his central
attack is that STAR Voting hurts people of color who would be more likely
to be confused by the new system. (A wildly hypocritical attack given RCV’s
known voter error issues that do hurt communities of color at higher rates,
a problem STAR Voting solves.)

(emphasis mine)