[EM] 28 years of progress and a wakeup call

Chris Benham cbenhamau at yahoo.com.au
Thu May 23 08:02:12 PDT 2024

Robert,

I think Condorcet//IRV would work fine, and surely could get some
support from IRV supporters.

> What's the one-sentence principle (that's actually true) that describes IRV?
*Until one candidate remains, one-at-a-time eliminate the favorite
(among remaining candidates) of the fewest.*

The palaver about a "majority" is just to shorten the counting process,
and also fits in with the marketing.

Since you are obsessed with "clear and simple language"  am I right in
assuming that for you selling and explaining the concept of the "Smith
set" (or top cycle) is out?

What is your problem with  Condorcet//Approval?    If you don't like the
"implicit" version (where all candidates ranked above bottom are
considered approved), then what about the "explicit" version?

One fairly simple way of doing that was proposed in April 2002  on EM by
Adam Tarr.  That was to use ABC-DEF grading ballots, with only
candidates given an A or B or C considered to be approved.

http://lists.electorama.com/pipermail/election-methods-electorama.com//2002-April/073341.html

But several other ballot styles have been suggested for this type of
method.  Someone liked having a Yes/No box next to every candidate.  The
approval cutoff being a "virtual candidate" has been suggested, a 0-100
score ballot with scores above 50 counting as approval and so on.  I
suggested that the voters could mark the lowest ranked candidate they
approve, and so that candidate plus the ones they rank not below that
candidate are counted as approved.

Chris B.