[EM] Manipulability stats for (some) poll methods

Michael Ossipoff email9648742 at gmail.com
Wed May 15 15:55:27 PDT 2024

Sure, Above-Mean is one of the main 0-info strategies. But so is
Above-Largest-Gap, which, in a simulation, could stand-in for u/a &
Like/Not-Like.

IRV is the prime embarrassment for the maipulability standard.

Yes, the goal of ranked methods is to avoid defensive-strategy need. IRV
has no offensive-strategy (to speak of), & is relatively unmanipulable, but
it has a really big need for drastic defensive-strategy, favorite-burial.

So I’m just saying that it would be better to report about the latter
instead.

We all agree that avoidance or reduction of defensive strategy need is the
goal of rank-methods. So, report that instead of
“manipulability”.

Comments inline:

On Wed, May 15, 2024 at 11:23 Kristofer Munsterhjelm <km_elmet at t-online.de>
wrote:

> On 2024-05-15 10:46, Michael Ossipoff wrote:
> >

> > On Tue, May 14, 2024 at 08:58 Kristofer Munsterhjelm
> > <km_elmet at t-online.de <mailto:km_elmet at t-online.de>> wrote:
> >

> It tells you how often you have to be thinking about "playing the
> strategy game" to improve the outcome (or how often you may regret if
> you don't).

It doesn’t!!

IRV makes you play the strategy-game, & will make you regret that you
didn’t bury your favorite.

In a low manipulability method, you don't have to start
> thinking about whether you should tailor your response to poll data,
> etc. as much.

No, not poll-data, but the method’s own intrinsic wrongdoing.

> There are two approaches here: you can make an apparently simple but
> highly manipulable method and then place the burden of voting "the right
> way" on the voters. Or you can take the spirit of the revelation
> principle further (it can never go all the way) and place that
> responsibility on the voting method itself.

Yes, & that’s another issue. I’ll comment about it below where you bring it
up.

IMHO, the more a voting method supports "just go there and submit your
> vote", the better it is, all else equal. As I have pointed out, it's not
> the full picture - you also need to know that the sincere unmanipulable
> outcome isn't going to suck. But that doesn't mean manipulability is
> meaningless.

It means that it would be better to just speak of & measure for what is
desired. No need to measure, report & speak of a fragment-component that
isn’t helpful by itself. Skip that & just report directly regarding the
desideratum itself.

Yes, many want the method to do everything for us. In fact I agree with RBJ
that, for an inimical electorate (like our public political elections), the
completely legalistic pairwise-count rank-methods (Condorcet) would be
best…all else being equal, as you said.

But all else is *not* equal !

Count-fraud is a problem. Condorcet’s humungously computation-intensive
count ridiculously facilitates count-fraud.

You want to do a handcount-audit of a Condorcet count?

Additionally, the count-program itself is easier to hide or add fraud-code
in.

As a general principle, then yes it’s much better to have the voters do it
for themselves rather than having a complicated fraud-prone
automatic-machine do everything for them.

A simple, reliable hand-tool is much better.

I’d much rather trust the voters to use the simple reliable hand-tool
(Approval) well, than trust everyone responsible for the count to not
perpetuate count-fraud.

I’m glad you brought up the desire for the method to do it all for
us…taking our sincere rankings as input, & outputting the legalistic right
choice. …because I’ve been meaning to address that matter.

…& that’s not even counting the much less expensive implementation (could
be zero cost, without even new count-software), easier less expensive
administration, & easier simpler explanation with consequent easier
enactment.

Approval isn’t as difficult to vote as it opponents claim.  There are many
ways to choose what or whom to approve. That’s a good thing, because you
can choose how you like.

Condorcet is legalistic, but we don’t have to be legalistic! Approval
guarantees election of the candidate who maximizes the number of voters for
whom the outcome is in their preferred of the two merit-subsets, however
the voter designates them.

e.g. If people approve what they like, Approval maximizes the number of
people who like the outcome.

If people approve what’s acceptable, then Approval maximizes the number of
people for whom the outcome is acceptable.

If people approve above expectation, then Approval maximizes the number of
people for whom the outcome is above expectation…maximizes the number of
people pleasantly surprised.

You don’t know the objectively-optimal vote? Neither does anyone else, so
don’t worry about it!

Probability, & therefore expectation & it’s optimization, depends on your
information.

Approving above your subjective perception of expectation genuinely
maximizes your expectation.

Ways of maximizing your expectation:

Approve everyone you’d appoint instead of holding the election. Or approve
everyone whose election wouldn’t disappoint you.

The polling CW is a good estimate of election-expectation. Approve hir &
everyone better.

If you perceive 2 likely frontrunners, approve the better one & everyone
better. (…but don’t believe the bullshit that the Democrat & the Republican
are the 2 choices).

If all were acceptable, I’d just approve whom I like. If I like them all,
I’d approve above mean, if I perceived the mean. But do we perceive the
mean? If not, maybe I’d approve the best half of them, or above the biggest
merit-gap.

Those are my comments. None farther down. Easier to say that than to delete
the rest of the text m.