[EM] POLL: References (was Re: Poll, preliminary ballots)

Chris Benham cbenhamau at yahoo.com.au
Wed May 15 02:24:57 PDT 2024

Kristofer,

> It also seems to define the criterion a bit differently:
>
>>> If a majority prefers one particular candidate to another, then they
>>> should have a way of voting that will ensure that the other cannot win,
>>> without any member of that majority reversing a preference for one
>>> candidate over another.
>
> which would indicate that the majority can bar a particular candidate
> from winning by voting in some given way that does not involve order
> reversal, only truncation.

"Truncation" or equal-ranking.  Steve Eppley a while back had a
"Non-Drastic Defense" criterion that says that if more than half the
voters vote A over B and A no lower than equal-top then B can't win.

You'd think everything would meet that, but Margins doesn't.

Of course Double Defeat (met by ASM and Smith//Approval and Double
Defeat,Hare of the methods nominated in our current poll) implies easy
compliance with the criterion you quote.

If A has a pairwise win over B, then the A>B preferring voters (whether
they are a "majority" or not) can ensure that B doesn't win by approving
A and not approving B.

The Double Defeat feature is both a common-sense way of tending to make
for a higher social utility winner and an easy common-sense "defensive
strategy" device.

Chris B.