[EM] Manipulability stats for (some) poll methods

Closed Limelike Curves closed.limelike.curves at gmail.com
Tue May 14 11:44:27 PDT 2024

> I think part of this can be answered by thinking about just what the
> manipulability measure, well, measures. It gives an indication of how
> well the method protects the honest outcome against strategy by the voters.

Right; that's largely my concern. It's also why I'm concerned about
blasting emails to the EM list saying stuff like "RANKED PAIRS HAS A 50%
MANIPULATION RATE, AND IRV HAS A 7% RATE", given this list includes lots of
people who are less involved in these discussions and don't know
manipulability is a very narrowly-defined measure of strategy-resistance.

A good example of this is James Green-Armytage's papers or Tideman's book
on this topic. I constantly have to deal with people who think his
studies show IRV is "93% STRATEGYPROOF" and every other method "collapses"
under strategic voting. (When systems like score, approval, etc. react
quite well to strategy, because they behave like maximal lotteries.)

Manipulation rate is like a p-value. It's a somewhat-meaningful metric that
can be useful when handled delicately by an expert. The issue is it
sounds *very
*similar to a different, much more important, question like "how well will
this method react to strategic voting". It's not that important to know
whether it's theoretically possible, given perfect information and
coordination, to manipulate the election; much more interesting are
questions like "what happens at the strategic equilibria" and "how robust
are those equilibria when we fiddle with the assumptions".

I'm also kinda interested in behavior with different kinds of strategy. I
think voters are about equal-parts expressive, level-strategic (they care
about how high the candidates' scores are, e.g. people who turned out in
France 2003 because they wanted to show France had "rejected" Le Pen), and
winner-strategic.