[EM] Optimal Cardinal Proportional Representation

Richard Lung voting at ukscientists.com
Sun May 5 00:32:17 PDT 2024

"The hunt for the "Holy Grail" of cardinal PR has been long and
arduous." And it will no doubt remain so, for any seeking it.

I take it  you mean PR wth a cardinal number vote, as it already
involves the usual cardinal numbers in the count: "Dealing purely with
approval voting to start with..." a new name for cumulative voting, that
slightly favorable system compared to FPTP, that has not gained any
favor except as an intellectual buffer for an American Political Science
association. To me that simply robs the voters of electing their most
prefered candidates in their order of choice, as democracy requires.

And representative democracy (which includes self-representation as a
special case) elects representatives and not merely "parties." (Below
"There are 4 parties..."). Transferable voting can express unity as well
as division, unlike the immemorial petty tribalism of party elections
more properly called partitions rather than elections.

Regards,

Richard Lung.