[EM] Manipulability stats for more poll methods (fixed footnotes)

Chris Benham cbenhamau at yahoo.com.au
Sat May 4 02:22:14 PDT 2024

Kristofer,

Thanks for this, but a few things leave me a bit confused and/or disturbed.

> "Mean utility cutoff" is the (relative scale) Approval guideline where
> the voter approves every candidate above mean utility and disapproves
> everybody else. Though a relative scale, it's not quite the same thing
> as "normalized".

How is it different?   I assume you never have a voter approving all or
none of the candidates, right?

4 "dimensions" sounds like a lot.  What are the "strategy attempts" ?
How much and what information do the strategists have?  Are the
strategists confined to just trying to get their favourites elected, or
any candidate they prefer to the initial winner?

> [2] The detailed stats suggest that pushover is a problem with Smith//DAC

You don't have enough candidates for a sub-cycle, and so the method
can't fail mono-raise.  How can it have a Pushover problem?

> - Margins-Sorted Approval, because I'm not sure how it works

(I struggle to take this at face value.  Probably my promotion of MSA
has convinced you that it is the best method and you were concerned that
your simulation wouldn't do it justice.  But our expert doing the
simulation claiming he can't understand the method isn't a good look for
its proposability.)

Why didn't you simply ask me to explain it to you?

What happened to separate entries for BTR,  Woodall and Benham?

Chris B.