[EM] No. Condorcet and Hare do not share the same problem with computational complexity and process transparency.

Michael Garman michael.garman at rankthevote.us
Sun Mar 24 16:10:40 PDT 2024

>  Note that I'm not asking if you think the fool me twice problem is
likely to happen with IRV. Just whether it's reasonable for someone who
thinks enacting a (to his mind) flawed method can cause a backlash, to
not go for that method.

For sure. It's a reasonable argument.

I think the principal consideration to bear in mind is where the opposition
is coming from and what their arguments are. If I were an activist in a
community where the prevailing opinion was that reform was necessary, I'd
be all for having a debate about the merits of different methods and the
relative logistical complications they might pose.

My concern right now is that most people aren't open to *any* reform, and
if the public-facing image they see is a reform movement that can't even
agree on a measure to push, they'll be even more skeptical. Not that we
can't or shouldn't have these debates, of course. But I think the Seattle
2022 example -- where the IRV supporters were at fault! -- is exactly the
opposite of what we want to happen. Overall support for the first part of
the question -- the one that was essentially "should we scrap FPP?" was way
lower than it would have been if there hadn't been confusion over competing
proposals and the impression of a fractured reform community.

I'm all for convincing people of the need for reform first and foremost and
then convincing them of specific methods later. Now, you could argue that
certain reforms would turn the public off the idea of structural change
once and for all, and I'd take those concerns seriously.