[EM] Endorsement for STAR voting

Rob Lanphier roblan at gmail.com
Mon Mar 18 22:51:58 PDT 2024

Hi Robert,

I've seen you post this example before, but this is the first time I put
some serious brainpower into it.  It's good food for thought; I kinda see
how this example results in a form of center-squeeze and how it would
choose a different result than Condorcet methods.  My hunch is that there's
"two-dimensional polarization" going on; that is, three tribes of voters in
a triangle rather than "left", "center", and "right", with lots of mutual
distrust between all three.  I'm not saying this is unlikely; far from it.
One doesn't need to spend too much time paying attention to global politics
to imagine such a situation.

I'm going to need to get STAR voting implemented in my abiftool software
before I spend much more time thinking about this particular case.  I'll
also have to dig up the reddit thread(s) where you posted this, and .  Are
you (or anyone on this list) aware of any web software with reasonably
intuitive election markup that implements STAR and a true Condorcet method
or two?  I'm probably just going to power through and implement STAR (since
it wouldn't be that tough to add to abiftool), but it's worth knowing who
has implemented both STAR and something Condorcet-y.

Rob