[EM] Fwd: Election-Methods Digest, Vol 236, Issue 18

Michael Ossipoff email9648742 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 16 13:01:00 PDT 2024

On Sat, Mar 16, 2024 at 11:27 Closed Limelike Curves <
closed.limelike.curves at gmail.com> wrote:

> Score's partial ratings provide more information if you release the full
> ballots (w/ noise added to preserve privacy). There's a big difference
> between a candidate receiving 1/5 on 100% of ballots vs. 5/5 on 20% of
> ballots.

I said that, for polls, I like RP(wv), with Score(0-5) & maybe Score(100,
99, 90, 50, 10, 1, 0).

> It also makes the method simpler for voters who want to be honest. In
> studies, people find binary ratings harder than ratings out of 5, because
> it's hard to pick when you're on the fence between 2 options.

I said that the legitimate valid use for Score’s partial ratings is for
when it’s genuinely uncertain whether a candidate deserves approval.

I said, how hard is it to flip a coin, to probabilistically give a
candidate half an approval?

Don’t complicate the method because you want Score to do that for you,
because you don’t want to do it for yourself.

I just finished listing a lot of important unique Approval advantages that
Score loses.

> And if voters want to do their part to elect the best candidate, instead
> of playing strategic games, we should let them!

I give them permission to approve the candidates they like or regard as the
better set,  or the ones who aren’t below-expectation.

In Score,  in a public political election under current conditions, if they
want to be suckers by rating estimated-merit-proportional instead of
Approval-style all-or-nothing, that’s their
(sucker) choice.

In polls, with RP(wv) to show the CW, & Score to measure likedness, no one
ha reason to not rate sincerely (estimated-merit-proportional).

As I said I rate sincerely in our current poll, & no doubt every
participating does.

We want honest voting to be as easy as possible, because honest voting is a
> public good. Filling in a bubble labeled 5/5 is no harder than filling one
> labeled 1/1. But in real life I don't carry dice around very often.

Don’t take dice to the polling-place to do probabilistic approving. That
would make other voters wait unnecessarily while you decide your vote. It
would delay & slow the voting process.

Instead, make out your ballot at home, before you leave for the
polling-place.

…& no, you needn’t go out & buy dice. Do you not have a coin? You don’t
even have a penny?

I’ll send you one.

…or (for probabilistic approvals other than.5) a paper bag & a piece of
paper from which to cut (or tear if you don’t have scissors), & a pencil or
pen with which to number 10 paper-squares. If you don’t have those things,
then I’ll send you those.

Yes, when it’s genuinely uncertain whether a candidate deserves approval,
it’s easier to let Score do the partial rating for you.

Don’t give up Approval’s important unique advantages because you don’t want
to do something for yourself.