[EM] Election-Methods Digest, Vol 236, Issue 18

steve bosworth stevebosworth at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 11 13:13:55 PDT 2024

Today's Topics:
   Re: Electing Cabinets, starting by using MJ to elect a provisional prime minister

Message: 1
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2024 23:54:34 -0700
From: Closed Limelike Curves <closed.limelike.curves at gmail.com>
To: steve bosworth <stevebosworth at hotmail.com
Limelike Currves wrote:I
"I think a Condorcet method would be most likely to do that (since it
maximizes the chances that the elected candidate will have majority
support). Majority Judgment can actually do arbitrarily badly at this--a
candidate can win even if only one voter supports them. (It lacks the
Archimedean property.)"

Please define the Archimediean property? Aim I mistaken to think
that every voting system (including Condorcet and MJ) could elect a candidate if only one voter expressed their support for one of the candidates?

At the same time, MJ's grades are more expressive than Condorcet's preferences. Grades allow each voter more informatively to express their different judgments about the suitability for office of as many of the candidates they want.

Also, I think it is MJ that maximizes the chances for the winner to be elected by a majority of all the ballots cast. This majority is discovered by comparing all the grades given to all the candidates by all the ballots cast. The one candidate who is found to continue to have received the highest median grade is supported by this majority.
What do you think?
Stephen