[EM] Easy River definition (also my site is back up)

Michael Ossipoff email9648742 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 9 20:33:37 PST 2024

On Sat, Mar 9, 2024 at 15:50 Closed Limelike Curves <
closed.limelike.curves at gmail.com> wrote:

> River is actually really easy to explain:
> 1. List all pairwise matches from biggest to smallest margin of victory.
> 2. If a candidate loses a match, cross them out (declare them to be a
> loser). Cross out any redundant matches that involve them (anything that
> would make them get eliminated twice).
> 3. Cross out any elections that would create a cycle.

Could that be worded as:

List the defeats, one at a time, stronger ones first.

But skip any defeat that cycles with already-listed defeats.

…& also skip any defeat whose defeated-candidate is defeated in an
already-listed defeat.

When all defeats have been listed or skipped, elect the candidate who isn’t
beaten in a listed defeat.

> On Sat, Mar 9, 2024 at 2:46 PM Michael Ossipoff <email9648742 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Wow. River doesn’t need the exhaustive pairwise-count? How does its
>> count-time compare to that of RP?
>>
>> I didn’t know that about River. I believed that only Sequential-Pairwise
>> was the only exception to the need for the exhaustive pairwise-count.
>>
>> The exhaustive count requires, per voter, counting one pairwise-vote for
>> each possible pair of candidates.
>>
>> How many votes need to be counted per voter in River?
>>
>> If one only cares about finding the winner, rather than an
>> output-ranking, could the count-instruction be written more briefly?
>>
>> As written, it’s much too complicated for a public-proposal.
>>
>> Someone said that River is better at deterring burial. I disagree. It
>> seems to me that skipping a defeat if its defeated is defeated in an
>> already-kept defeat undermines autodeterence.
>>
>> Only one of the CW’s defeats is kept. That means that every Bus but one
>> can’t have its defeat dropped, so only one Bus survives.
>>
>> I like it if the exhaustive pairwise-count isn’t needed, but can the
>> count-instructions be written more briefly, if only the winner is needed?
>>
>> On Sat, Mar 9, 2024 at 07:02 Kevin Venzke <stepjak at yahoo.fr> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Mike and everyone,
>>>
>>> First off, if anyone was missing my site, it is back up. I had to find
>>> different
>>> hosting (a bit abruptly).
>>>
>>> Where I was trying to link right before the site went down:
>>> votingmethods.net/cond
>>> works out a given (or random) scenario for Schulze, RP, or River. You
>>> just have to
>>> expand sections at the bottom of the result. So it could be worth a look.

>>> I see I should try to write out clearly how I suggest to understand
>>> River.
>>>
>>> There is no "final ranking" in River. Instead every candidate begins
>>> "below no one"
>>> or "subordinated to no one." This is sort of a ranking but the "trees"
>>> we make go
>>> only one level down: you will never be able to ascend two positions from
>>> a given
>>> candidate.
>>>
>>> 1. Initially each candidate is subordinated to no one.
>>> 2. Consider each pairwise defeat from strongest to weakest.
>>> 3. When you consider a defeat, ask whether the loser is subordinated to