[EM] Strategy-free criterion

Michael Ossipoff email9648742 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 21 20:17:01 PDT 2024

On Fri, Jun 21, 2024 at 17:22 Chris Benham <cbenhamau at yahoo.com.au> .

> I can understand voted Smith-set fundamentalism, and that is expensive
> enough.

It a avoids the possible embarrassment of electing a Condorcet loser, with
the likely resulting repeal. Maybe some additional desired criteria are
gained too.

RP(wv) & Schulze do even better, with their clone-independence, & probably
various other criterion-gains.

But if there is a top cycle I don't share the mind-set "Probably there is a
> sincere CW (concealed by strategic truncation or order-reversal) and our
> top priority should be to infer or guess who that is and elect him/her."
> There may well be no sincere CW or a higher SU candidate. So quite nice,
> but mainly just a marketing benefit.

No. Available evidence, including thousands of CIVS polls, indicates that
sincerely-voted top-cycles are rare. It isn’t speculation. It’s experience.

 Because any top-cycle is almost surely strategic, & because allowing
offensive strategy to defeat a sincere CW (with the consequent
defensive-strategy-need) results in big problematic defensive-strategy-need…

…& because it doesn’t make a whole hell of a lot of difference who wins in
a sincerely-voted circular-tie…

…then yes, what matters is, as well as possible, preventing
offensive-strategy from talking the win away from a sincere-CW.

The wv Condorcet methods excellently achieve that….resulting in a fully
strategy-free method

…by which I mean, a method with which no defensive-strategy is needed.

…the achievement of the Condorcet ideal.

…&, in general, the ideal goal of voting system reform.

The best wv Condorcet methods that I’ve heard of are:

RP(wv)
Schulze
MinMax(wv)
Smith//MinMax(wv)

RP(wv) Schulze meet the most criteria.

Those methods achieve the ideal by two properties.

1. Minimal-Defence Criterion compliance

2. Autodeterence