[EM] Strategy-free criterion

Chris Benham cbenhamau at yahoo.com.au
Wed Jun 12 10:16:03 PDT 2024

Kevin,

>   "Does that mean that you find  failure of Mono-add-Plump acceptable?"
> Compared to Plurality criterion failures, sure.

No, that is very very weird and wrong.  A failure of Mono-add-Plump is
completely absurd and outrageous and a failure destroys the credibility
of the winner, whereas a failure of the Plurality criterion is merely
very embarrassing and hard to sell.

Also giving away Plurality can "buy" something sort-of worth having. For
example MinMax Margins is not an absurd method and has a "maximal set"
of Woodall properties.  It fails Plurality but meets Condorcet and I
think Mono-add-Top and Later-no-Harm.

But I refuse to believe that we need to give up Mono-add-Plump (or
Mono-append) compliance to get anything remotely worth having. (And if
I'm wrong about that I wouldn't accept the bargain.)

> Something I will have to post about at some point is what a
> game-changer it is if we
> take it as an assumption that elections will have two frontrunners and
> all voters
> use frontrunner truncation strategy. Arbitrary-looking majority rules
> prove very
> useful in maximizing performance.
>
> In such a setting I find that MAMPO is usually not as good as MDDA or
> RMPA, but all
> of them outperform all Condorcet methods at sincere Condorcet efficiency.

A near-universal assumption among Condorcetists is that if (assuming the
voters are free to rank enough candidates) there is a voted CW then that
must be the sincere CW and everything is perfect.

You imply that your aim is to elect the "sincere CW" (if there is one).
I think we should be trying to elect a candidate with no lower Social
Utility than the highest SU voted Smith set member.

The person who coined SFC (and supports MD) also coined the Chicken
Dilemma criterion, which is directly incompatible with MD.

https://electowiki.org/wiki/Chicken_dilemma

I am in sympathy with both criteria so one of my standards is that a
rankings-only method must meet one or the other.

Chris B.