[EM] inaccurate Fargo approval voting results

Closed Limelike Curves closed.limelike.curves at gmail.com
Sun Jun 9 10:49:21 PDT 2024

Michael—the issue is it fails much more than 1% of the time, it's just
hidden from sight. We can see the same mistake in FPP. If it looks like 97%
of FPP elections "got the right result", there's clearly *something* fishy
going on in that number.

And there is! The issue is that those 97% and 99% figures are based on the
incorrect assumption that which candidates choose to run isn't affected by
the electoral system. If everyone who wanted to run for office *did* run,
pathologies would be much more common. We saw this in Alaska, where the
top-4 format made the pathologies that usually get swept under the rug by
the nomination stage visible. In the *very first* major election with
multiple significant candidates, we saw a simultaneous
monotonicity/participation/majority failure. This lines up much more
closely with what models predicted: in competitive 3-candidate elections,
all of these pathologies should be quite common, happening around 5-15% of
the time.

The reason IRV looks like it "basically works" is because its pathologies
mean moderate and third-party candidates know they have no hope of winning,
so they never run in the first place. At that point, in a 2-party system,
all voting systems will return the same results (because it's just a simple
majority vote).

I think this bears repeating: *a low rate of **empirical** pathologies is
often a negative, not positive, indicator*. If your dataset has no examples
of center-squeeze, that means your system is so bad at electing Condorcet
winners that moderate candidates are refusing to run in the first place.
Similarly, we'll know Condorcet methods are working if (sincere) Condorcet
cycles start popping up all the time. That's how we'll know we've
successfully depolarized our politics and broken free of the old
one-dimensional political spectrum (where the median voter theorem protects
us from cycles).