[EM] inaccurate Fargo approval voting results

Closed Limelike Curves closed.limelike.curves at gmail.com
Sun Jun 9 10:18:10 PDT 2024

I think the original total of 18,805 is most likely correct. In particular,
these new figures seem to accidentally include voters outside of Fargo.
However, I can't be sure.

>From the CES Discord:

> Comparing the two documents provided,
> https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Z_BvcFSb9atksfTEBvtT29Jrn_2kOaIa/view
> and
> https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1SjeCOPnc8_XahPknSaln_2BAekAUEe2I/edit?pli=1&gid=491089553#gid=491089553
> I can see that *precinct 4503 supposedly had 437 ballots in 2020, but
> there was not a single vote for any candidate in the commissioner's race
> from this precinct.* Precinct 4502 shows 508 ballots in the first doc,
> but only 16 votes for all candidates combined. These results seem
> improbable if precincts 4502 and 4503 contained Fargo ballots, and _only_
> Fargo ballots. These two precincts contribute only 945 ballots to the
> alleged discrepency, but they do show that there is a problem with the
> methodology.

My guess is the figures differ because of split precincts—totaling up the
number of votes in each precinct won't give the correct turnout, if some
precincts serve voters both inside and outside of Fargo.