[EM] inaccurate Fargo approval voting results

Bob Richard [lists] lists001 at robertjrichard.com
Sat Jun 8 16:11:03 PDT 2024

Using the 2020 city commission election as an example, the City of Fargo
reported that there were 18,805 votes cast, but -- according to
Evangeline Moore -- doesn't explain where it got this number. Moore
finds other records that show that 23,819 ballots were cast in the 22
Fargo precincts in that election.

My hypothesis is that 18,805 is the number of voters who voted for at
least one candidate for city commissioner, in other words the number of
voters who didn't abstain from the city commissioner contest. Under this
hypothesis, 5,014 voters went to the polls and submitted a ballot but
didn't choose anyone for city commissioner. That's 21%, which is
reasonable for a down-ballot office in the U.S., where many voters  who
vote in federal and state contests don't vote in the local contests on
the same ballot.

So, the question is, what is the appropriate denominator for reporting
percentages? In plurality elections in the U.S., results are always
reported using the smaller denominator -- if you leave a contest blank
you are counted as an abstention and excluded from the denominator when
reporting percentages.

I think that Fargo's choice of denominator is at least as defensible as
the denominator that Moore wants them to use. At least it is consistent
with the way plurality results are always reported. The language she
quotes from state law might seem to suggest including abstentions (blank
ballots) in the denominator, but if that's what it means then fewer
plurality elections would have majority winners than is reported. And if
that's what it means, then local officials are getting all elections
wrong, not just approval elections.

I think that a far more interesting aspect of these Fargo elections is
the use of approval voting in multi-winner elections. What was the
method prior to the adoption of approval voting for the 2020 election?
Were voters allowed to choose one candidate (single non-transferable
vote or limited vote) or two (multi-winner plurality or the "block
vote")? Was part of the argument in favor of approval that it would be
more proportional than the previous method? If so, how was that argument
made?

--Bob Richard