[EM] Open letter to STAR voting promoters

Richard, the VoteFair guy electionmethods at votefair.org
Thu Jun 6 21:21:11 PDT 2024

On 6/4/2024 8:19 PM, Closed Limelike Curves wrote:
< ...
 > So, I suppose my real question is: is there any voting system
 > that satisfies both properties? Sincere favorite and
 > later-no-help are enough for voters who follow good polls to
 > work out the Condorcet winner, by making min-maxing the
 > optimal strategy. On the other hand, I don't know
 > if they're necessary or if they're compatible with honesty in the
 > zero-information case.

Since you seem to have asked me this question, and no one else has
answered it, I'll say ...

I believe that attempting to "satisfy both properties" is likely to
increase the failure rates of yet other fairness criteria.

To me, a zero failure rate and a one-in-a-hundred-thousand failure rate
are not significantly different.  Both are close enough to zero to not
be a concern in elections.

 > The place where this is bad is the zero-information setting. True
 > zero-info almost never exists, but low-information settings crop up if
 > you have a sincere Condorcet cycle, several clones, or a nonpartisan
 > local election. In these settings, it would be very nice to have
 > voters be perfectly honest.

I believe we should expect that in the future there will be better
opinion polls that provide more information for governmental elections.
In other words, zero information elections will become rare -- if the
outcome is important, as it is in governmental elections.

I think honesty would be very nice in every setting.  But getting
honesty requires using rules that don't motivate voters to vote dishonestly.

In other words, if there's a way to cheat, cheating will occur.

Richard Fobes
the VoteFair guy