[EM] Open letter to STAR voting promoters

Richard, the VoteFair guy electionmethods at votefair.org
Thu Jun 6 20:57:15 PDT 2024

 >>     In fact, some of us suggested to Richie allowing equal-ranking,
 >>     each vote counted whole, & he immediately refused it.

Although I don't like to agree with what Rob Richie says, he's correct
in this case.  In other words, I agree this would not be a good change.

 > Maybe. Probably. …but it was suggested because it’s better garbage
 > than ordinary IRV. ... I wouldn’t advocate garbage, but I
 > suggested that garbage to Richie because it’s a
 > “Lesser-Of-2-Garbages”.  ... At least it avoids IRV’s worst.

IRV has two major weaknesses:

* dismissing equal-rank markings

* not eliminating a candidate who is clearly less popular than the
candidate with the fewest transferred votes.

Both are easy to remedy.

I dislike IRV, yet I find myself supporting it as a stepping-stone to
better election methods.  That's because a ranked choice ballot is
better than a STAR ballot, and better than a Score ballot, and better
than an Approval ballot.

Richard Fobes
the VoteFair guy