[EM] Open letter to STAR voting promoters

Chris Benham cbenhamau at yahoo.com.au
Wed Jun 5 01:18:02 PDT 2024

Mike,

> In fact, some of us suggested to Richie allowing equal-ranking, each
> vote counted whole, & he immediately refused it.

And he was very correct to do so, because the resulting ER-IRV (whole)
method is garbage.

Unlike proper Hare/STV  ("normal IRV") it fails Mutual Dominant Third.
 From a May 2014 EM post of mine:

The example I give below is also an example of failure of Unburiable
Mutual Dominant Third.

"I'd like to suggest a simplified and generalized version of that,
"Strategically Invulnerable Mutual Third" (SIMT):

*If a set S of candidates are all voted above all non-S candidates on
more than a third of the ballots, and if all the S
candidates pairwise-beat some non-S candidate X, then X can't win.*

This implies compliance with MDT, and means that a sincere MDT winner is
invulnerable to any sort of "offensive" strategy.

ER-IRV(whole) fails Mutual Dominant Third (MDT).

05 A=C
31 A>B
34 B>A
30 C>B

B is voted above all others on more than a third of the ballots and B is
the CW, but ER-IRV(whole), aka AIRV, elects A."

Then there is the question of whether or not the new method has a
majority stopping rule or not. In normal Hare it can't make any
difference, but in the ER(whole) version it does.

Without it the method is farcically vulnerable to Push-over strategy: